Thursday, September 18, 2008

WE {HEART} HALLOWEEN!!!

Brian & I are both HUGE Halloween freaks.
We turn our home into a haunted house for Halloween night, we all wear costumes (& this year I have a dog I can dress up. Yay!), I buy Halloween hand soap, Kleenex boxes & paper towels.
The Halloween decor goes up on September 1st.
I'm burning the pumpkin spice candles.
I almost bought a pumpkin pie at Costco yesterday (but I knew I would eat half of it by dinnertime).
I've even sprinkled store-bought fall leaves on my front yard.
Anything to help along a little autumn feeling here in the desert.
Brian's probably even more psycho about it than I am.
Here he is (right after having Achilles surgery), webbing the haunted house fence that he made from PVC pipe (right before the Achilles surgery).
He so loves his web gun. It shoots melted glue that looks like real spiderweb. None of that cottony crap for us!! But then I get to clean it up afterward. Not so fun.
We almost bought an old grandfather clock on Craigslist to go in the entry for $50, then we came to our senses.
Each year we add a little more. We're going for authentic, not cheesy or gory, & that makes it hard to find good stuff.
The kids like to brag to their friends that we have the scariest house in the neighborhood, so we've got to deliver!




I used to make the kids' costumes, until I had 5 kids, & before they were old enough to have an opinion about what they wore. Those were the days.....
But I love that the kids love that I dress up. At least the younger ones do. I think the older ones are starting to get embarrassed by it.
So I'm having trouble figuring out what to be this year. I know!! It's already mid-September!!
It's tough, because if you've ever looked at adult costumes, it's about 3/4 naughty this & skanky that! Naughty Little Red Riding Hood, Skanky Snow White, Naughty Heidi of the Alps. Brian's all for it, but I don't know how that would fly at the neighborhood Halloween block party.....
Any ideas???
Here's some past costumes...

June Cleaver
Geisha girl (hugely pregnant with Gus)

Snow White & my Prince Charming. (I don't know why we look so tan!)
I've got to get this figured out. I have alot of haunted house preparations to do!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I"m with you! I LOVE Halloween! Did you see the GIANT spider at Costco? I *didn't* come to my senses and paid almost $90 for it! I love fake spiders at Halloween!
Ideas: scary clown? I have a frog costume? family "little red riding hood" - you'd have to do some sewing?
I love to dress up, too. But I think I'm going to pass this year :( Chances are I'll be in the hospital having a baby, anyway.
Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Holly said...

I just have to tell you that the kids were talking about your haunted house just a few days ago. Bryson says, "I was so frightened last year that I couldn't even go in. But I think I'm brave enough to do it this year!" I LOVE it! I sprinkled fake fall leaves last year - ha! Um, we might have to stop and take some pictures of the kids in your yard on our way down to the block party. I LOVE how much you guys LOVE Halloween. So stinkin cute!

Leigh said...

My vote is Skanky Red Riding Hood. I'm all about the "shock value." Can't wait to check out the haunted mansion this year.

Jill Ison said...

I love your geisha girl. I've always thought it would be cool to dress me and all my girls as geisha for Halloween but I never know where to get a costume. China town??

Nichole Barney said...

I have always loved halloween but my hubby is a halloween baby and hates halloween since he gets forgotten every year for his birthday. I love that you guys dress up and get into it. My favorite part about halloween is that the weather is so perfect!

Unknown said...

I'm having the same costume issues, Nic! Here's what I've been looking at:

-Marie Antoinette (or similar era) with a long poofy skirt & wig
-Little Red Riding Hood (I've seen modest ones!)
-Wonder Woman, Supergirl, or Lois Lane (Brian could be Superman or Clark Kent)
-Princess Leia (Brian could be Obi Wan)
-50's girl with poodle skirt and flipped out hair
-60's hippies - that could be fun with long hair, tie dye & beads!

Cory and I were pirates last year and I thought it came out really cute! He was Jack Sparrow and I just had a girl pirate costume. Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm sure you'll come up with something amazingly cute because you always do! Can't wait to see what you and Brian end up doing!

Lisa said...

Hi there! I'm a new blogger friend! I clicked over from Shawni's post. I love all your photographs. You are amazing! I have 4 boys and contimplating about have #5 knowing all to well that it would probably be another boy. Oh well! They are great and I love them to death! We love Halloween in our family too. Click on over and visit me sometime. Glad to know ya-

Noelle said...

I am so glad we live so close to the scariest house on Halloween. You are awesome.

Unknown said...

Whatever Nicole, I didn't know you had a blog! So cute, and I love Halloween too! I've put out my "fall" stuff, but not the Halloween, thought it might freak people out a bit so early. But the earlier the better! I feel like it makes the cooler weather come quicker, as well as all the holidays in general! Love it! Your family is so so cute. Love to see them. Keep in touch!

Julie said...

I love that you both get into it! Sometimes I think I drive Mike crazy with all the boxes of stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...